WE ACCEPT PET INSURANCE IN VERNON HILLS, IL
Budgeting for your pet’s care is no easy task. While you can plan for things like annual wellness visits and parasite prevention, the cost of unexpected care is…well, unexpected. Pet emergencies can sometimes cost thousands of dollars, which can lead to difficult decisions between your budget and your pet’s health. Pet insurance changes all that. It allows you to budget for expected costs like your premium and deductible, while the insurance company takes care of the unexpected.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Pet insurance has a monthly premium and deductible that you have to reach before you become eligible for coverage, just like human health insurance. Depending on your plan, you’ll get reimbursed for any covered services your pet undergoes at a percentage of the invoice, or a set amount for each condition (called an annual benefit schedule of allowances).
One big difference between pet and human insurance is that pet insurance companies do not pay your veterinarian directly. You’ll be responsible for the initial invoice for your vet and then will have to file a claim to your insurance company for your reimbursement. As long as there are no disputes with the claim, reimbursements generally come through within a couple of days of your claim.
CHOOSING THE BEST PET INSURANCE PLAN FOR YOU & YOUR PET
At Companion Animal Hospital of Vernon Hills, we accept most insurance plans, meaning you have free reign to choose whichever plan works best for you. It’s important that you thoroughly do your research and consider the following:
- What specific conditions are covered within the plan
- How you get reimbursed
- The type of plan you choose (whether it’s unexpected illness and injury only or covers other services like preventive care, too)
- Your pet’s current health and whether they have any pre-existing conditions or their breed is prone to congenital or hereditary conditions (most plans do not cover these conditions, but a select few do)
To give you a leg up in your research, we’ve collected some basic facts about two popular insurance companies we often come across:
- Features different plans that cover emergencies as well as wellness care
- Each plan reimburses differently with some offering a percentage of the invoice up to 90% and others offering a benefit schedule of allowances
- You may be eligible for discounts if you also have car or home insurance through Nationwide
If you need some guidance in choosing your pet insurance plan, please don’t hesitate to ask! Call us at (847) 821-6189!